This is the first installation of the soon to be legendary Spinelli's Top Nine Blog. As often as possible, a new list will appear (think 2-3 times a week), so subscribe or be on the look out and i'll give you another reason to be unproductive at work.
Spinelli's Top Nine Albums of 2009
1. Grizzly Bear - Veckatimest - Beautifully written music. This was the sound i was looking for. Took me a minute to warm up to this band, but once i programmed my brain to understand this noise, I loved it. 4 singles have gotten massive airplay ("Two Weeks", "Southern Point", "While You wait for the Others" and "Ready, Able")
2. Dirty Projectors - Bitte Orca - One of those 'start to finish' type albums.
3. Animal Collective - Merriweather Post Pavillion - Go see these guys live. So much fucking fun.
4. St. Vincent - Actor - Saw her at Velvet Jones in SB a while back and got into her sound. The thing I like about "Actor" is how much better than "Marry Me", her first album, it is. No knock on "Marry Me", but Actor is classic. There's nothing sexier than a girl who can pull off playing an electric guitar and singing good music.
5. Yeah, Yeah, Yeahs - It's Blitz! - I love Karen O. Plain and simple. They've really adapted to the current musical climate and churned out an excellent album. These songs sound so much better live too, that i recommend only assessing their prowess, once youve seen them.
6.Dinosaur Jr. - Farm - I'm still in utter disbelief at how good this album is. I remember Dinosaur Jr. as a band that heavily influenced Nirvana, but when i heard them, it was just a bunch of grungy noise. "Farm" is refined and sounds like the 90's made a special appearance in 2009. Great guitar lines throughout.
7. Passion Pit - Manners - My buddy Chris said to me "I really want to meet the girl that fucked this guy's head up so hard and made him write this album." Awesome songs, super nerdy and dancy at the same time.
8. Phoenix - Wolfgang Amadeus Phoenix - If you havent heard any tracks off of this album, then youre probably living under a rock. Super fun, reminiscent of 80's jump up and down music. I guess French people arent that bad afterall.
9. The Fiery Furnaces - I'm Going Away - Another great start to finish album.
I'm sure everyone's got their picks for this years best. Let me know what some of your faves were...Peace!