Sunday, January 3, 2010

The Top 9 Movies You Should Go See/Rent Right NOW!

Ok...real quick...before you start reading...See the link on the lower right hand column, that says "Follow"? Click it and you'll be pinged every time I make a new entry. Ok, enough shameless self-promotion. Here's the list:

9. Avatar in IMAX 3D - Go to wherever the nearest IMAX theater is. If you live in SB, i think its in Camarillo, SF has the Metreon, LA has Universal. This movie is MEANT to be seen in IMAX 3D...Anything else, will make it just another movie. My buddy Shish called it an "eyegasm". This movie was made to see on the big screen, in 3-D, in IMAX. James Cameron had to invent a hybrid camera to capture the movie exactly how he wanted.

8. The Red Violin
- This movie came out in the late 90's. It traces the amazing life of a priceless violin and the historical periods in which it lived. Samuel L. Jackson plays a prominent role in one of the time periods...One of my all time faves and makes this list due to its relative obscurity.

7. Up In The Air
- (cue fader voice) Fuckin Clooney Man... On the real though, Clooney is the man. He owned it in this flick. It's an honest portrayal of an unusual man. Clooney is the perfect vessel for your emotional ups and downs as you watch this. Jason Reitman made another great film. Don't miss it.

6. Invictus - You knew Morgan Freeman would play Nelson Mandela some day. The day is here and he nailed it. Even though I can never get Team America's "Maaaattt Daaymunnn" out of my head, his performance was passable and he didnt totally screw up the movie. Clint Eastwood chose a really great story and the movie is better if you dont know what happened to the South African rugby team in real life before you see it.

5. Team America World Police - Hey you! Yeah, You! The bozo who hasn't seen this yet...do yourself a favor and go watch one of the flat out most hilarious movies of all time. If you've already seen it, then go watch it again...You know you want to.

4. Bottle Shock
- I never really liked Alan Rickman until I saw this flick. It's based on a true story about when Napa Wines were finally considered worthy of being served in the same establishment as French wines. Awesome flick, especially if you like wine.

3. The Wire
- It's not a movie, but it is the greatest TV show of all time. No joke. Some may stigmatize it as "just another cop show" when in reality The Wire is about the living, breathing pulse of the City of Baltimore. Cops, politicians, policy makers, schools, drug dealers, corners, school kids, newspapers, the docks... Start at Season 1 and never look back.

2. Rachel Getting Married
- This movie totally threw me off by how amazingly real and honest it was. I always thought Anne Hathaway to be some cheesy teen actress who was destined for romantic comedies for the rest of her career, but i was wrong. I'm sorry Anne, I'm a believer now. Hathaway plays a recovering addict who returns home for her older sister's wedding. Jonathan Demme gives us a profound look at a REAL American family, with REAL isues. The movie can be a bit of a downer, but so can life. Watch it, take a breath and accept how jarring life can be sometimes...

1. Redbelt - The most powerful, stirring movie I've seen in a long time. Playwright and screenwriter David Mamet writes and directs the story of an LA jiu-jitsu academy owner. Events are set in motion in this guy's life and so many forces are pushing against him from all angles. The physical and emotional strain that's placed on his life is so alarming that emotions inside of you build up exponentially until the very end. I can't say enough about this movie and that it moved way up my list of all-time favorite movies. Also, its only an hour and twenty minutes long and often feels like a play.

5 comments:

  1. You're right about The Wire. I've watched every season about three times through each, season 3 alone I think I've watched 5 times. I've never seen The Sopranos or Deadwood, so I'm curious to eventually see how those dramas stack up. The Wire is worth every penny.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely get into Deadwood...only 2 seasons, but its masterful as well.

    Best way to do it is to drink a shot of whiskey every time they do...Ya Varmint!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dude, while I like the story in Bottle Shock (i.e. the fact that California wines kicked the frogs' asses twice), you've got to admit that movie got a little ridiculous at times. Especially the love scene in the old, run-house. What was that all about?

    ReplyDelete
  4. [-] REDBELT - Nothing new about that.
    [+] RACHEL GETTING MARRIED - A-M-A-Z-I-N-G JOB. Piece of art.
    [-] THE WIRE - New day, same sh*t. Really dislike.
    [?] BOTTLE SHOCK - Never heard about it.
    [+] TEAM AMERICA - "Mhaht Daaaymn" will save the f*cking day, yeah! (also loved the "everyone has AIDS" song). This movie was prohibited in many countries...
    [+] INVICTUS - Morgan Freeman is a true hero. Charismatic as Mandela, once again he did a piece of art. Totally must-see movie.
    [?] UP IN THE AIR - I guess it's a remake, but I still didn't watch it.
    [?] THE RED VIOLIN - Samuel L. Jackson rocks my socks EVER. I gotta watch this movie ASAP.

    And at last...

    [ + ] AVATAR (in IMAX 3D) - Well...

    Just hated having some bubbling asses over my face on the first 2 minutes, but the IMAX 3D experience still rocked anyways, so, we should give it a point to Avatar.
    Also, it was nice to see that the american people got the typical "american hero" as a BAD GUY, I think this paradigm was about to be broke long time ago, but they finally did it. It seems now the US is REALLY doing non-predictable action movies, what is great, once the US has the best movies, technologies, directors and REALLY TALENTED people. One more point to Avatar.

    At least, I personally think (and I don't want anyone to think this way, it's just my opinion) Avatar shows that, there are many americans worried about the world's environmental impact.

    On the other hand, not ALL the americans are preocupied. The brazilian governmente reported that they've found on the last years, more than 1.500 U.S. soldiers in Amazonia. I repeat: They were not LEGALLY in Brazil, they were just "FOUND", hidden in the jungle. What were they looking for ? Unobtanium ? I just hope Amazonia don't become Pandora. And, if it does, I want Michelle Rodriguez come take my hand.

    Maybe I should create a blog too and post this comment. It got SO big.

    Well, take care cousin.

    From Brazil, Marco Spinelli out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Crazy Brazilian...Dont listen to anything this guy says. He's a Spinelli for cryin out loud!

    ReplyDelete